Monday, September 8, 2014

The Mistress and a Man

 
 
 
 
"What is to give light must endure burning."  ~Viktor Frankl
 
 
We hold a certain attraction the two of us.
I need to be needed and you need too much.
 
My light keeps reaching without falter or rest
as you love the luxury of being my returning guest.
 
To be your beacon is what I always yearn
yet I am the recipient of my constant burn.
 
We have a certain attraction like a light and a moth
for I long to sustain you, but you cannot be caught.



No I am not having an affair with a married man.  I just thought that the wording in first person held more power.  The picture represented a painful relationship to me and I went with it in this direction.  That's my story and I am sticking to it.

What do you see when you look at the prompt?
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Ah the love and woes of a restless spirit ever glows throughout! Very lovely write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An attraction develops
    An attachment envelopes.
    Nothing wrong being "restless"
    Where we rest is what matters.

    Good work you did here, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its like we have that thing/ person, but still not have. This kind of love/ relationship is painful bu tthe other one cannot do without it. A lovely picturisation of complicated and delicate emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I long to sustain you, but you cannot be caught"...ah...isn't it heartbreaking?...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your disclaimer is charming ~ as is your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Touching lines, Carrie.
    Such attraction!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cleverly provocative; well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Polarity of Pain , means you must be alive , Carrie , well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very thoughtful and inspired. Love and Light, S

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moths drawn to the light, that may burn, and the ones we sometimes want the most, we cannot capture their love. This is very beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your emotions are strong, this one has impact!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is powerfully done - and fiction is just as important in poetry as nonfiction. I agree, the first person makes this poem work. Not one wasted word - I was entranced the whole way through.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson